Saturday 22 December 2012

Rant: Strong Female Characters

Hello, yes, it's a rant about it, it's some complaints I have about it in some sections.

I do love mostly strong cisgenderly female characters, if there is androgynous, the better, the variety, the better.

my problems is that in some cartoons, animes, comics, movies, mangas, mostly anime and manga and video games, strong female characters tend to be stereotypically treated...most of the times it's always the sexy and attractive or beautiful woman with much less clothes, or loli and moe or tsundere  or "boyish" traits, not much variety or relatable, from what I know, there is some I know it has a good variety, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, Fruits Basket, Otomen (specially male characters, which is great), Shugo Chara, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken, Kenishi: The Mightiest Disciple, Code Geass, Black Lagoon. 
Shoujos is so rare to have decent female characters, they are very repetitive, in special the main characters, I was fortuned to find good main female characters, like Beauty Pop, Tonari No Kaibutsu-kun, Shugo Chara, Switch Girl, Watashi Ni xx Shinasai...

that's my only complaints regarding the subject, even though there is many with good female characters but compared to the rest, it makes the many few...I'll tell you what's the problem with the stereotypical ones, they first think as a "girl" then is a "person", when it should be the other way around, that's why books, animated series, series, films that has good females characters always go for think of the character as a person first and then you can worry about it's gender (whatever which is).

it's a wake up call, give more variety in characters (I'm including males) would be nice.

now series, films which has good and great female characters and a nice variety:

the ones mentioned above regarding manga and anime and games...;
  • Harry Potter;
  • Game of Thrones (I never watch or read it but I heard a good deal);
  • Avatar The Last Airbender;
  • Legend of Korra;
  • The Mentalist;
  • The Big Bang Theory;
  • Brave;
  • Mulan;
  • Tangled;
  • Princess Mononoke;
  • Howl's Moving Castle;
  • The Secret World of Arietty;
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic;
  • etc.
there it goes, I think many of you understand what I mean, right?
I hope it comes great characters in future with more variety

Here is my list of my female characters...
Mangá&Anime:
  • Olivier Mira Armstrong (Fullmetal Alchemist)
  • Kino (Kino No Tabi)
  • Kiri Koshiba (Beauty Pop)
  • Izayoi Aki (Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's)
  • Amu Hinamori (Shugo Chara)
  • Hawkeye (Fullmetal Alchemist)
  • Machi Kuragi (Fruits Basket)
  • Shizuku Mizutani (Tonari No Kaibutsu-kun)
  • Kujaku Mai (Yu-Gi-Oh!)
  • Saki Hanajima (Fruits Basket)

Video Games:
  • Aqua (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Lightning (Final Fantasy XIII)
  • Leo Kliesen (Tekken)

Animated series:
  • Korra (Legend of Korra)
  • Azula (Avatar The Last Airbender)
  • Toph Bei Fong (Avatar The Last Airbender)
  • Asami Sato (Legend of Korra)
  • Lin Bei Fong (Legend of Korra)
  • Katara (Avatar The Last Airbender & Legend of Korra)
  • Tylee (Avatar The Last Airbender)
  • Zhalia Moon (Huntik)
  • Sophie Casterwill (Huntik)
  • Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
  • Pinkie Pie (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
  • Rainbow Dash (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
  • Lor (The Weekenders)

Films, series, books, comics:
  • Hermione Granger (Harry Potter)
  • Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter)
  • Ginny Weasley (Harry Potter)
  • Lily Evans Potter (Harry Potter)
  • Narcissa Malfoy (Harry Potter)
  • Professor McGonagall (Harry Potter)
  • Princess Merida (Brave)
  • Mulan (Mulan)
  • Teresa Lisbon (The Mentalist)
  • Alex (Modern Family)
  • Claire (Modern Family)
  • Leslie Winkle (The Big Bang Theory)
  • Rapunzel (Tangled)
  • Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
  • Gretel (Hansel and Gretel Grimm's Fairy Tale)
  • Vesper Grey (Plume)
  • Anya (Phoenix Requiem)
  • Arietty (The Secret World of Arietty)
  • Vanellope Von Schweetz (Wreck-It Ralph)
If you have noticed, the smallest list is Anime & Mangá (imagined if was divided in 2? it would become much smaller) and the video games. As you see, it's very hard for me to like a female character, even if there is many good females characters, but it's still not enough, I'm very picky.

No comments:

Post a Comment